Thursday, October 21, 2010

Quick Look: Rudy Project Sterling Helmet

Unboxing the white/silver Sterling
Cycling is a sport for the obsessed.  Some obsess about data--gathering and analyzing the minutia looking to unlock the secret to becoming a faster, more efficient, more powerful rider--while others obsess about weight.

My particular obsession within the greater obsession known as cycling happens to be helmets.  One could draw some reasonably accurate conclusions about the seriousness with which I take my riding from that admission, but I'll argue that approaching riding as I do affords me the opportunity to objectively assess product well.  When you're not so wrapped up in the details of the effort, you can concentrate on   itself.

While I still have a ways to go before I reach Imelda Marcos levels with my helmet fetish, I own almost as many helmets as I do pairs of socks, and I have quite a few pairs of socks.

The Sterling is nothing if not well ventilated
I've had my eye on the Sterling, Italian firm Rudy Project's flagship road helmet for quite some time, the only thing stopping me from making the acquisition; an ill conceived purchase of a helmet from a French manufacturer.  Financially recovered, I put down for a Large White/Silver/Red Matte Sterling.     

The Sterling comes neatly packaged in a handsome light gray cardboard box with a soft helmet bag, removable visor, and a two sets of padding.

The well-padded bug net.
At 374 grams in a size large helmet, the Sterling isn't setting any records when it comes to weight.  With 18 very large vents, it might, however, just set a few airflow records.

As generously proportioned as the vents are on this helmet, Rudy had to look at all the options in order to engineer a helmet that would retain the structural integrity required to pass the various certification tests and they did so through the development and use of an external composite skeleton.  Leaving no detail unattended, Rudy's engineers designed the skeleton to also function as the perfect eyewear holder.  The fact it is also a contrasting color is an added bonus and takes me to my next point; fit and finish.

While the heft of the helmet is immediately noticeable upon unboxing, it's quickly forgotten, overshadowed by the finish and features of the helmet.  This has to go down as one of the best made helmets I've donned.  Perfectly applied in molding to the shell, high-quality strap, buckle and retention system, not to mention the densely padded, well stitched bug net equipped padding.

There are 3 vertical retention system settings
Out of the box my Sterling had the bug net padding in place, which I've left through its first month of use.  The density and positioning of the bug net equipped padding has proven to be optimal for my head shape, no uncomfortable pressure points anywhere.  The helmet is sufficiently deep to accommodate 'taller' heads, that was immediately clear when I first placed the helmet on my head.

Once buckled up I had a brief moment where I thought that in spite of the helmet's apparent comfort, the fit on my head wasn't going to be secure in the way I prefer in the end.  The RSR7 Rotating Disc retention system was landing too high up in the back.  I quickly remembered that the retention system itself is vertically adjustable and all it took to find the fit I needed was to move the retention system down from the middle of three settings to the lowest setting, and twist the rubber coasted RSR7's disc a bit.  

RSR7 Rotating Disc Retention System.  Simple to use 
Objectively speaking, there are lighter helmets out there, but rather than feel heavy, this feels solid--well made. What the helmet might sacrifice on the scales it certainly makes up for in quality and the ability to tailor the fit.  Helmet fit, much like shoes, saddles and the like is highly personal.  That being said, the  the Sterling has a shell shape that will work for a relatively broad range of heads shapes, accommodating both tall and narrower oval shaped heads and shallower, more round shapes.

While I am still on the hunt for the helmet holy grail, the Sterling has moved into the #1 slot in my helmet rotation, just bumping out another Italian brand that previously held #1 slot.  

The Rudy Project Sterling comes in two sizes, small/medium 54-58, and large 58-62 and is available from R & A in white/silver/red matte, white/silver/blue matte, and titanium/red matte for $225.

No comments:

Post a Comment